Skip to main content

26 and 27 weeks - Picture time!

Things around church have been pretty crazy. Many projects, many things to be planned, many concerns and crises, and far too many deaths and funerals. I've spent the last couple weeks falling asleep on the couch after putting Sam to bed, and then dragging myself upstairs to bed myself. It's just been that exhausting. Hence the lack of updates around here.

The world has appeared to calm down a bit going into this week, though, and I am grateful.

We had our most recent doctor's appointment nearly two weeks ago, at 25w5d. My blood pressure continues to stay nice and low (yay!). Owlet's heart rate continues to hover high (but well within the normal range), which continues to make us curious about the old wives' tale about faster heart rates indicating girl babies. My belly is pretty much the size it should be (just slightly bigger than average). My weight...was up from last time, but only a little. Apparently my total weight gain at this point is, like, 10-12 pounds. Dr. Locke checked in with me about that, in case I were trying to diet or restrict my eating. Which is so very much NOT the case. I wanted to laugh when asked me that, because if you know me, food is pretty much my favorite thing ever. Also, as with Sam, my weight fluctuations in pregnancy are such a mystery to me. I can eat the same stuff and have the same physical activity level for two months in a row, and one of those months I'll gain nothing, while the other I'll gain, like, 8 pounds at once. I couldn't control my weight even if I tried!

The only other business of the day was to schedule labs and an ultrasound. Labs to check my baseline levels on all preeclampsia markers, so that if we are concerned later, we have something to which to compare any future labs. And an ultrasound to check that my placenta has moved up and away from both my cervix and my previous c-section scar.

Between then and now, we crossed two more weekly milestones, for those of you who are counting:

26 weeks - September 23, 2016
27 weeks - September 30, 2016

Also, between my last appointment and today, we officially scheduled my c-section! December 27. We went back and forth and back and forth on whether to do the 27th or the 23rd. The 23rd is the earliest that we can schedule one (exactly one week prior to due date), but that would mean that I was guaranteed to be in the hospital for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The 27th means that I have a chance at making it through Christmas. But, of course, this Owlet can show up whenever (s)he wants, and if I go into labor, then we go ahead and evict, whether that is December 19th or 22nd or 25th or 26th. Also, if at any point it looks like I am showing preeclampsia markers, we evict immediately.

Today was lab and ultrasound day, which also meant that it was glucose screening day...ugh. Nothing like having a five minute time limit to drink 10 ounces of a highly concentrated glucose solution, which in my case was orange flavored. And, as I discovered by accident, also had enough food dye in it to turn my tongue orange:


Matt was my brave hand-holder, and took me to the clinic for my blood draw, which was wonderfully quick and uneventful. Then down to radiology we went for our repeat ultrasound. The official report hasn't come through yet, but the sweet ultrasound tech told us that the placenta had definitely moved up, that my fluid levels look good, and that Owlet is measuring perfectly along the curve. I forget what she said the estimated weight was, but it was two pounds and something. Owlet was being very cooperative today and let the tech take some great profile shots. Owlet was all squirmy, and we got to watch as she/he opened up his/her mouth, and then stuck his/her tongue out, and wiggled fingers, and had legs crossed at the ankles again, and the tech was even able to show us a little patch of hair on his/her head! For the last few weeks, I've been thinking that this is definitely a girl baby. But somehow, seeing the profile today, I immediately thought "oh, that's a boy." For no apparent reason. What do you think?

Owlet - 27 weeks 3 days

We have our next appointment in another week, and it is the start now of twice-a-week appointments instead of monthly. Hopefully between now and then I will hear back about my glucose screening (pray that my levels look good so that I don't have to do the awful three-hour test!!). And get the official ultrasound report. Meanwhile, Owlet will just keep squirming away, and I will keep bemoaning my constant heartburn levels, and struggling to find a comfy sleeping position, and continue to admit to Matt that despite some of the discomforts, I really do enjoy being pregnant....and I am getting more and more excited each day about welcoming this new baby into our family! 12 weeks and counting!

Comments