Skip to main content

19w4d - Weird math

In pregnancy, there is no rhyme or reason to any calories in/calories out equation you can devise. None whatsoever.

I was on vacation the first week in July, at a conference the third week in July, and on vacation again the first week in August. Meaning that my eating habits have been all over the place. Or, rather, that I've had many very enjoyable eating experiences over the last month. :)

I've also re-committed to working out these last couple weeks, mostly strength training and core. Lots of squats and lunges and side planks (ouch).

Meanwhile, I keep stumbling upon pictures of myself from three years ago, when I was pregnant with Sam. I am a month "behind" where I was when I was pregnant with him, so it is an interesting mental and memory exercise to try to compare what life was like three years and one month ago to what is going on right now with this pregnancy and my body.

We are almost at the halfway point in this pregnancy, and hour by hour I can't decide where I feel like I have a giant bump for my weeks or a tiny one; whether I am bigger than I was at this point with Sam or not, or how much bigger. Gravity is hilarious, because you wake up with far less bump than you go to bed with each day.

I admit that I am feeling weirdly neurotic about what weight I should be gaining and when and where and how much, especially with a second pregnancy...mostly because I wonder whether I am doing as good of a job keeping myself healthy as I tried to do with Sam's pregnancy. I definitely am not in danger of gaining too little weight. But I also know that it won't be healthy for me to gain too much weight.

And so I eat. And I exercise. And I try to figure out what bump growth is baby versus what bump growth is ice cream.

But despite any of my efforts to stay healthy and to eat wisely (and also enjoy delicious moments of weakness!), the truth is that the way everything adds up, this belly is going to grow no matter what I do. :)

That's some weird and wonderful math....

Comments