Skip to main content

17w5d - Sleepy me


I just made myself a cup of coffee using the pour-over system I received for my birthday back in June, because it is 3:00 p.m., which feels like nap-o-clock, and I haven't had any caffeine yet today, and I don't care to spend any more time or money to get coffee any other way.

Friends, I am tired today. I haven't slept well for a few nights now, and am still catching up on sleep from a fantastic but full-scheduled conference last week. Last night, I woke up a lot because the crazy dreams have kicked in. Not sure about the night before.

We had another regularly-scheduled doctor's appointment today. Everything looks good! We were in and out very quickly. Owlet's heartbeat was quick and easy to find, whooshing away at 160bpm. My blood pressure continues to stay nice and low. My weight jumped a crazy 8 pounds from last month, but my weight was down last month a couple pounds from the month before. So I'm really only at a net gain of 8 pounds overall. Just feels crazy to have accomplished that feat all in one month. Too much vacation food?

We scheduled nearly all the rest of my regular appointments from now until Owlet's arrival, and are closing in on a c-section date. Mostly, it will depend upon the surgeon's schedule, but we are aiming for December 26 or 27, unless Owlet decides to force an appearance any sooner than that. We have our twenty-week ultrasound in two weeks, when we'll get to see some pictures of our little one, if s/he will stay still long enough for any good shots! Owlet started bouncing around like crazy about a week and a half ago. It's so early, I know, and I wasn't expecting to feel movement yet, but this is one feisty little squirmy baby! We might be in for a handful when s/he is born....

Aside from some poor sleeping and general fatigue, I'm feeling pretty good overall. My body feels more physically tired than I remember feeling with Sam at this stage, but I'm not remembering all that well. I get a little bit winded sometimes, especially when I am bending over or crouching down for some reason, and even though I'm not that big at all yet, I'm already struggling to get myself up off the floor should I be sitting down there for any reason.

I know that a lot of my physical fatigue and weakness and lack of energy is due to pregnancy itself. But I also suspect that I would feel stronger and more energetic if I were putting in more effort to exercise. When I got pregnant with Sam, I kept up with running for the first eight or ten weeks. Given the timing of our IVF and FET cycles this time, though, plus holidays and weather and such, I hadn't been running at all when I got pregnant with Owlet, and haven't done any at all during the pregnancy. 17 weeks 5 days probably isn't a good time to re-start a running habit, but I CAN double down on short and regular cardio and strength workouts.

My hope is that my cup of coffee can give me the little burst I need to get home early, throw on some ill-fitting workout gear, and power through twenty minutes of something that will make me sweaty.

I've also been feeling mentally and emotionally foggy this week (I think that I've been doing a lot of traveling this summer and am feeling a little less-than-grounded right now) - I'm hopeful that getting back into an exercise routine will help snap me out of that as well.

Anyway, I'm glad for a quick and good appointment today, and am looking forward to what promises to be a gloriously awkward and embarrassing workout, which will hopefully lead to a better night of sleep tonight! Next week, vacation in New Jersey (yay!). And then on the far side, crunch time to get things set for fall programs. Summer has vanished...yikes!

Comments

  1. For causes of fatigue, see also: toddler! :-) So happy all is well with Owlet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment