Skip to main content

8w3d - Update

Catching up quickly.

Nearly two weeks ago, at 6 weeks and 6 days, I went up to Rochester for my confirmation ultrasound. Everything looked great! A baby, measuring spot-on, in an appropriate place in my uterus, with a heartbeat of 130. Doesn't look like much yet:


That was my very last Mayo appointment for this pregnancy. I am now officially released to my local doctors. Crazy. Still on my estrogen/progesterone supplements through 12 weeks, but otherwise we get to transition to "normal pregnancy" status.

I had my initial appointment with the OB nurse coordinator last week, which was basically my "orientation to pregnancy" meeting, exactly like last time. Then labs (uck). And now, waiting until my first appointment with Dr. Locke next week. Right now, according to dates, it looks like my due date is December 30 (totally inconvenient), made yet more inconvenient by the fact that it will be a schedule c-section....likely on December 24 or 26. Oops. A Christmas baby it is...

So here at 8 weeks, there are definitely things about this pregnancy that feel similar to my pregnancy with Sam, and definitely things that feel different.

The same: insane fatigue in the afternoons and evenings, aversion to leftovers and to all things melted cheese, warm-weather fruit cravings, the feeling that all of my pregnancy weight gain is taking place in my boobs.

Different: NAUSEA ALL THE TIME. No puking (yet). But man. I'm sick of feeling queasy. It gets better when I eat, but it's a hard sell to eat when you feel nauseous. I've had to trust my body a lot on that one. Also, a persistent metallic taste in my mouth, which has led to a complete aversion to coffee (decaf). Coffee just doesn't taste good. At all. Bummer.

I have to say that time flies this second time around. With Sam, I counted (and stressed) every day. Life is busier this time. And I have living proof that my body CAN carry a pregnancy to term. So the days slip by pretty uneventfully, and then I blink, and I realize that I'm 8 weeks into this, and only 4 weeks from being done with the first trimester (and hopefully also with the queasiness!).

I'm definitely still worried about all the things that could go wrong, and am completely aware that there are no guarantees. But for the most part, I am a far less anxious person this time around. There's not a lot I can do at this point to help or hurt the outcome. So instead, I do all my normal life, and try to keep a level head. I'm DYING to exercise more, but need to talk to Dr. Locke before feeling cleared to go running, and wanting some input from him about things like kettle bells or other weight-based exercise. I've been walking as much as my legs can stand.

I'm trying to eat healthy, but failing. I'm craving fruit....but also sugar. And really really salty things. I'm trying to keep myself in check. It doesn't help that my brain is already in a weird place with my weight, since I'm starting this pregnancy about ten pounds heavier than with Sam's pregnancy. Last summer and early fall, I was eating well and running a lot and feeling so good about myself. Then we did a fresh IVF cycle (cue the hormones and weight gain), leading right into Thanksgiving and Christmas (the season of eating!), leading right back into a FET cycle (more hormones and weight gain). Here's hoping that I can stay healthy in this first stretch of pregnancy and offset my starting weight with a responsible weight gain (and hopefully not the same crazy water weight that I gained at the end with Sam and my preeclampsia).

Anyway, I think that's about all for now when it comes to pregnancy stuff. Not a whole lot to report at the moment. Matt has decided that this new little baby should be nicknamed "Owlet," following in the woodland creature themed footsteps of "Hedgehog."

So Owlet it is. :)

Comments