Skip to main content

Aftermath: Sunday, November 24

(To follow the whole story, begin here: Tuesday, November 19, Wednesday, November 20Thursday, November 21, Friday, November 22, Saturday, November 23)

Sunday morning, I held onto Samuel after his morning feed. Dr. Locke stopped by to give me the good news that my hemoglobin was trending up, even if it was still low, and that he wasn't ordering any labs for me on Monday.

I ate breakfast and watched some TV, and even shuffled around the room a tiny bit after they took my booties off. We had a surprise visit from a couple from church late morning, and then I got to do something awesome: take a shower. And not just that, but put on real clothes afterward. That was another step toward feeling human, like myself.

Then Matt ran off to feed the cats and do a Culver's run (to escape another hospital meal...probably a bit of a mistake....). Then we snuggled in and watched football, and napped, and FaceTimed with Beth and Nick.

After dinner, my parents returned (they are crazy for driving home on Saturday, going to church on Sunday, and then coming right back to Decorah...and I love them for it!), and we watched some football, and passed the baby around, and I did a little wandering around the room getting our belongings somewhat organized.

After my parents left, Matt and I had a lovely, quiet night together. We sent the baby to the nursery for the night, so that we could get one last good night of sleep before going home. He climbed into bed next to me for a while, and we talked through all of the events of the past days. Partly to try to remember details, partly to process the really crazy roller coaster. We ate ice cream and started writing in the baby book. I remember going to sleep Sunday night finally feeling truly happy and truly myself.

Comments