Skip to main content

Aftermath: Monday, November 25 (going home day!)

(To follow the whole story, begin here: Tuesday, November 19, Wednesday, November 20Thursday, November 21, Friday, November 22, Saturday, November 23, Sunday, November 24)


Monday was a lot of hurry up and wait. We had no plans to leave the hospital until the afternoon. The OB department was busy again, which meant busy nurses who weren't around a lot. My parents came over for a little bit, I took another shower, we worked through a lot of discharge paperwork, Jenine came to visit, Matt did a pharmacy run, I watched some Food Network, we learned how to give Samuel a bath, we had further conversations about Samuel's weight and formula supplementation, but my nurses also were convinced that my milk had started to come in and we were on the road back to exclusive breastfeeding.

About 4pm, we dressed Samuel up in his going-home outfit, signed the last of the paperwork, cut off all of his (and my) bracelets and tags, and headed out!

My parents had decorated the kitchen with welcome hedgehog banners from my shower, and the cats decided that they were curious but not concerned with this new little guy encroaching on their territory. The rest of the afternoon and evening was quiet. I sat around and fed Samuel when he needed it. Even though I was still sore and tired and not walking incredibly well, my mom and I spent some time in the nursery putting things away and getting organized. We hadn't quite finished up the nursery before Samuel was born, so we did things like setting up the changing pad on top of the dresser and putting away more baby laundry.

My dad cooked a delicious celebratory dinner of steak and baked potatoes and broccoli and acorn squash. I even sneaked a couple sips of wine.

By the time I went to bed, I was exhausted. And so happy to be home. And so in love with our dear Samuel. There was still more recovery to happen, and still plenty of excitement to look forward to with Thanksgiving on the way and lots of family about to descend upon our little house.

Comments