Skip to main content

38 weeks and still pregnant (not a surprise)

38 weeks 3 days, to be exact. Time for my regular Wednesday post-doctor appointment update!

Got up today, got ready, looked at myself in the mirror, and as usual, belly is still way way way up high. Every day, I hope that I'll look in the mirror and find that hedgehog has dropped, but today is not that day.

Headed off to my appointment this morning, knowing that today was going to be another internal check, like two weeks ago. I suppose that I was feeling a little anxious about it, but nothing serious. My legs were also really puffy this morning, so I suppose I was anxious about that, too. Either way, despite feeling calm and happy that my weight has stabilized (one pound up over last week, but exactly the same weight as the week before that), when they took my blood pressure, it first came back as something crazy, like 150/90. Eep. The nurse took it twice in a row, but both readings were high, so we decided to try again at the end of the appointment, just to see if it was anxiety or something else.

We listened for the heartbeat (sounds good!) and then did the uncomfy stuff right off the bat when Dr. Locke came in. I was determined to be more relaxed this time, and not to be as surprised by the discomfort as last time. It was still pretty uncomfy, but quick. I still wish I could deal better with these checks than I do, but as it turns out, not only was I dilated more than last time, but enough that he could feel the baby's head, and enough that he could do a sweep of my membranes. So...the good news is that he did a more uncomfortable procedure than last time, but I didn't react any worse to it as I did to the lesser check two weeks ago.

Ok, so this sweeping/stripping membranes business. As scary as that sounds, Dr. Google tells me that it just means he separated the amniotic sac from the uterine wall, which sometimes induces labor, but more often just helps women not go too terribly overdue. I'm pretty sure that I'm a big overdue risk at this point (baby still way up high, no contractions yet to speak of, no meaningful dilation or effacement), so I'll take any effort to try and speed things up!

After that, some purposeful rest and relaxation to give my blood pressure another good chance to quiet down. Upon last check, it came up 130/82, which is still a little high, but nothing that needed further attention today. So that's good. When it started out so high, Matt and I were both having visions of surprise inductions and c-sections. So we're both glad that I was given the all-clear to go on as normal.

Not sure if it was the early morning appointment, or the short-lived but not insignificant bodily stress of the morning, but I have been exhausted for most of the day. Or maybe my body is now gearing up for something? Or maybe I'm just pregnant, not sleeping well, and going into hibernation mode because it is cold and dark out. :)

Took a couple pictures before my appointment this morning. It's funny to me how gravity really plays a part in belly shape/size. Last week, I took a picture late at night, and my belly looked huge. Today, I took it first thing in the morning, and my belly looks so small! I wonder how many more weekly pictures I'll get to take...

38 Weeks 3 Days
38 Weeks 3 Days

Comments

  1. Ooh, some exciting words there! When someone else can feel the baby's head, it gets even more real! :-) Praying for you and the baby every day, for all to be well and for the big meet and greet to come soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment