Skip to main content

Status and speculation

We are now in week thirty-six. Crazy.

Physically, I feel better than I did for most of last week - sometime overnight, late in the week, I think hedgehog shifted position, so my stomach removed itself from my throat, which made both my heartburn and queasiness feel a lot better, and meant that I've had a few nights now of better sleep. Not great sleep...but the getting up twice to use the bathroom sort of wakefulness, not the waking up every hour because my heartburn and tummy felt so awful.

That being said, I have pretty much slowed to a screeching halt.

I am tired all the time. Not sleepy, necessarily, but my body is slow and cranky. I don't really bend anymore, and I go through stretches when my belly just feels sore from doing routine things, like rolling over in bed. I'm super-slow, and having a harder and harder time doing any physical sort of stuff, which is frustrating, because lots of my routine house chores are far more physical than I ever gave them credit for (I'm looking at you, laundry and emptying the dishwasher!)

Also, let's talk about my feet. Yesterday morning was a really busy morning at church, so I had zero time to sit down between services. Meaning that I was on my feet pretty much straight from 8:30am-12:30pm. Oh my. I've never seen my ankles do that before. I mean, they've been swelling here and there, especially on humid days, or days when I've eaten too much salt, but this was ridiculous. Freaked Matt out, actually. So I spent the better part of the afternoon lying on the couch with my feet way way up. I called it "Operation Reclaim my Ankles."

As it looks, bigger picture, the days of mild and random swelling are done, and the days of persistent, moderate swelling are here. For vanity's sake, I hate it. Yuck. But it also raises an eyebrow since this really just showed up in force over the last week.

I'm not particularly worried. Lots of people swell up at the end! But this, plus an elevated (for me) blood pressure reading at my last appointment, makes both Matt and me a little nervous. Our next appointment is this Wednesday, and Matt's decided that we need to have my hospital bag packed before then, just in case things look scary like pre-ecclampsia and they decide to do something about it. Not sure if this line of thinking is better-safe-than-sorry or just a little first-time-parent-crazy.

I still am speculating that this little hedgehog will show up early in some fashion, though I have no reason to believe it other than a suspicion. Haven't had any Braxton Hicks contractions yet, or at least not that I have noticed. Dr. Locke will check on Wednesday to see if my body has made any early progress at this point. So we'll know much more after Wednesday.

The plan for today: make it a quiet day around the office and get lots of things done, just in case. Keep my shoes off as much as possible and my feet up if I can manage it. Drink tons of water, do some good walking, finalize a few baby-planning lists, and keep my fingers crossed that Wednesday goes well...and that I perk up a little bit and regain a little energy to get ready for baby in these next few weeks!

Comments

  1. I'm so glad the baby shifted and you feel better! Prayers for relief: answered. Boo for giant ankles...that happens to me frequently enough, both with pregnancy and other weird situations - genetic?? I love "Operaton Reclaim My Ankles." Definitely not crazy to be prepared for Wed! Ready is good, but hopefully all is well. I got to hold a tiny newborn today, and my heart almost exploded to think of holding Hedgehog! Oh my. Thinking of you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment