Skip to main content

Sick and slow

A week ago, I was at a conference in Des Moines. A lovely 48 hours hanging out with other pastor-types, talking about social justice, worshiping together, and even finding time to sneak off and eat at Zombie Burger (yum!). Woke up Tuesday morning in my hotel room with a little bit of a sore throat and not much voice. Which made me nervous, because Matt's been sick with some flu for a couple weeks now. But I powered through the rest of the conference, survived the ride home from Des Moines (four hours in a car...and feeling worse with each hour that passed.)

By the time Tuesday evening rolled around, I was feeling terrible. Chilled, exhausted, slight fever, sore throat. Yuck. Wednesday morning, still felt the same, so decided to do the responsible thing and go to the doctor. I have never been one to just head off to the doctor the second I get sick. I'm always good for waiting things out. But since EVERY pregnancy book and website says "if you come down with flu symptoms, see your doctor right away," I gave in.

Felt decent as Wednesday went on, enough that I felt sort of silly once we showed up at the doctor's office. But they checked me out, pushed me to drink lots and lots of water, and to be aggressive with taking Tylenol, and to rest. They did a throat swab to check for strep, which I thought was silly because Matt had been to the doctor just the day before, and his strep and mono tests had just come back negative.

So...Saturday, I got the phone call saying that despite my rapid strep test coming back negative, my slow strep test came back positive! Bummer! So I'm on huge quantities of amoxicillin and Tylenol, and I'm drinking tons of water and resting the best that I can. Sleeping is the worst, because my sore throat, my pesky cough, and my crazy heartburn conspire to wake me up every hour overnight.

Hedgehog, on the other hand, has no idea that I'm feeling so tired and miserable. It has been a fantastic week for all sorts of tumbles and rolls, kicks and hiccups and stretches. I love feeling all the movement. The movement also helps assure me that neither my illness nor my medications are hurting this little baby.

Hopefully I'll be feeling lots better by my regular appointment this week. Hard to believe how quickly time is going now that we're past 30 weeks!

Here's my 31 week picture from late last week. I stayed home from work, hence the sick-day wet hair and leggings!

31 weeks 4 days
31 weeks 4 days

Comments