Skip to main content

Time keeps on flying!

Over the weekend, we attended the Prepared Childbirth class at the hospital where I will be delivering. Crazy crazy crazy to be at that milestone. To be fair, we attended the August session because the next session is November 23, the day before my due date. Not so useful at that point. :)

It was a long morning. Some of the material I knew already (I've actually watched plenty of birth videos, so that session wasn't new news, and the information about the stages of labor wasn't much more in-depth than the book that they gave me to read at my first OB appointment way back in March). Some of the material was fun (sitting on exercise balls and learning relaxation techniques!). And really, the most useful information was some of the logistical stuff. Showing and passing around various items that we might encounter during our hospital time so that we wouldn't be surprised, giving more direct information about when to call the doctor, when to arrive at the hospital, and what to expect in those first few minutes at the hospital.

I was wonderfully impressed by the birthing philosophy of our tiny little small town hospital. Some things that other women need to spell out and fight for in their birth plans are taken as given at our hospital. Like, once the baby is born, they are in no rush to weigh it or give it antibiotics. Their first priority is to let you enjoy the moment, and snuggle, and to take vitals while baby is still flailing about in your arms for the first time. Birthing balls and whirlpools are available in every room. They don't just allow but ENCOURAGE you to walk, and to change position, and to spend as much time as possible laboring in positions other than flat on your back. They are a tiny hospital but have their own lactation consultant. AND...their standard procedure isn't to kick you out of the hospital ASAP. They generally keep you in for two nights, so that you can focus on bonding with the baby and recovering in a helpful setting before heading out on your own.

I suppose I don't know what is standard in labor and delivery units these days, and maybe all of this stuff happens everywhere. But I got a really really good vibe from the folks teaching the class. I love my doctor already, and after our class, I also love the hospital. I feel like I am going to be in very good hands.

In other news, I never got around to posting last week's picture, so this week, how about a two-week comparison? I'm definitely growing. I'm also rounding into the third trimester, so the baby belly is supposed to be obvious!!

26 weeks 3 days...Can we say growth spurt?
26 weeks 3 days

27w3d
27 weeks 3 days

Comments