Skip to main content

It always happens this way.

I fret and I worry and I get all doom and gloom in the hours leading up to each appointment. And then, they check me out, and all is great.

So we had our next regular OB appointment this morning. Here's the run-down.

After last time, when I hadn't gained any weight between my first two OB appointments, today my weight is up an appropriate amount from last time; 135ish last month to 139ish this month. Amazing that in any other time of my life, a swing of four pounds wouldn't seem like anything to blink at. I'd probably write it off as normal fluctuation throughout a month. But when you're on baby watch, every pound seems significant, in a good way!

When my doctor had me lay back on the table to check the heartbeat, he noticed that I'd sprouted a little belly! There was a good, strong heartbeat, easy and quick to find, measured at 160bpm, which is spot on. Have I mentioned that I could listen to the swish-swish-swish of the baby's heartbeat all day and never get bored of it? It is the most beautiful sound to me right now.

Then, just for fun, my doctor decided to measure my belly; apparently fundal height should measure in centimeters approximately the number of weeks that you are, within three. So we're 17 weeks, and he measured me at 18cm, which, too, is spot on.

We're still looking toward a November 24 due date, which would put me at 17w2d today.

I'd say that I don't know why I get so worked up before these appointments, except that I know exactly why. I have only known loss, in so many and various ways, that I still can't quite believe that things are going to stay good. I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But then, I have wonderful appointments like these, and all of that anxiety melts away, at least for a few weeks. Today, especially, feels great. My weight is doing what it should. Hedgehog has a heartbeat just like it should. Hedgehog is growing and is the size that it should be.

And - bonus! - we scheduled our 20 week ultrasound today, which means that instead of having to wait four weeks for reassurance, I only have to wait three. And then our next regular OB appointment is the very next week after that. So three weeks of waiting (one of those which will be taken up by our awesome Key West vacation that we leave for tomorrow morning!), then an ultrasound, and then a heartbeat check one week after that.

It is a good day today.

Comments