Skip to main content

Is "grumpy" a symptom?

Not much has changed since my last post. Still feeling good, still feeling like myself, still fretting and hoping that all is still well.

Well, one thing is different this morning.

I'm a pretty even-keeled person, as things go. I can muster up righteous indignation and frustration when necessary, and don't mind doing so, but it is rare that even frustrating things affect my mood in a lasting way. I'm a pretty situational person, and so that means that my base state is generally happy, flexible, and unflappable.

I got up this morning, after a good, solid eight hours of sleep, and I felt normal. I showered, got dressed, everything was fine, though everything I did this morning seemed to take twice as long. And I was a total klutz. Bashed both my knee and my ankle on the same piece of furniture, within minutes of each other, even though I've never tripped over that piece of furniture before.

But all was well. Slow and klutzy, but still happy.

I got to my office, and all was well. I cleaned up my desk and put away all the junk that had taken over my office from two back-to-back busy weeks. And that felt good.

But somewhere in the following ten minutes, I just got grumpy. And I don't know why.

Well, maybe I know a little why. We've been working and working to finish unpacking and setting up our new house, and rushed to do a bunch of work over the weekend for guests that were showing up today and staying the night. On Saturday, they called to say that they weren't going to be able to spend the night, but would come for the day instead, which was fine. But just the way that things are shaping up today, it looks like we're going to end up with just a little more than a mealtime together today, and that's it. So I'm a little grumpy because I was so looking forward to the visit...and because I worked my butt off to get ready for it.

Also, there are a handful of people at church who are on a rampage over something rather trivial, and it's always obnoxious to see people behaving at their worst when you know that they are far better people than that.

Ok. But neither of these individual things should have flipped my mood into total grumpiness. On any other day, these things would have made me sigh, and then I would have looked outside at the blue sky and green grass and warm breeze, and I would have gotten over it. I would have gotten over myself.

But for the last hour now, I've been in a total funk. I'm a complete grump-o-saurus. I don't want to talk to anybody or deal with anybody. My two thoughts on this are 1) that I need coffee in a bad way, and (a modest) amount of caffeine will solve everything, and 2) maybe grumpiness is a pregnancy symptom, and maybe I should be grateful for what might be hormonal wackiness. We can hope, right?

Comments