Skip to main content

Overachiever

Ready to go! (IV in right hand...sad band-aid
on left hand...)
Nope. Didn't keep up tracking my meds here this time. It was a quick cycle and I was busy.

Having upped my dosages to speed things up, my estrogen level was up to 4000 by this past Tuesday morning, which (according to Dr. Google) is on the high side of normal. So this probably why my doctor had me trigger Tuesday night for a Thursday morning retrieval.

Yesterday's retrieval went well.

Well, mostly.  They had trouble getting my IV in, so yeah, that wasn't great. A nurse was digging around in my left hand and I am so surprised that I didn't faint. Yuck. But try two on my other hand went quickly and easily.

I wore my lucky socks yesterday - socks that I had started knitting during our first IVF cycle but didn't finish - and the last thing I remember as I drifted off in the procedure room was explaining the socks after being complimented on them.

I woke up easily and felt good but sore.
Lucky socks!

Though here's the thing. There's something called OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) that can develop during an IVF cycle. And I'm pretty sure I have it. It's really just an exaggerated set of symptoms that come with stimulating your ovaries to produce multiple eggs. Bloating, soreness, etc. Anyway, I am definitely puffy and bloated and really sore. Mild cases happen to about 1 in 10 women, I read, so it's not unexpected. And really I just need to wait it out. But man, I'm uncomfortable.

I am also an overachiever this cycle.

I just got the embryology report:
34 eggs retrieved (yeesh!)
28 eggs were mature
24 eggs fertilized (yeesh again!)

That feels like a ton. So now we'll see how many of them develop! Transfer is scheduled for next Wednesday if all goes well.

Comments