Skip to main content

Keeping track: Saturday & Sunday (days one & two)

And so, without much fanfare, we have started this next round of IVF.

At our consult last month, my doctor had no real reason to believe that there was anything except for bad luck to blame for our first IVF and FET failures. The only thing he could think of to do was try to shorten the time between start of cycle and retrieval, so he upped my starting dosage of the Follistim.

Last IVF cycle, we started at 300 IU Follistim. This cycle, we begin with 450 IU.

So Saturday night we started injections. We attended a friend-of-my sister's wedding (because I officiated!), and it was beautiful. And it was really fun to hang out with my sister and her boyfriend at the reception. Except that near the end of dinner, I came down with crazy migraine, which made all of me feel just terrible. So we ducked out of the festivities early, got home, and I settled on the couch with a pillow and blanket, trying to feel better. And so I was not so pleased to have to do our first injection.

But it really went just fine. Not as hard as I'd thought to get back in the swing of things. Did the familiar routine: prepare the injection pen, ice my belly to death, let Matt do the honors. The only thing now is that 450 IU is the max dosage on my pen, so it made the injection seem huge, and man, it took forever to get all the medication in once Matt stabbed me. Yikes.

{And as it turns out, some ibuprofen, ginger ale, and comfy clothes really helped me feel better from that headache - so much so that we put on a movie and snuggled on the couch and took advantage of a low-key cozy rest of the evening.)

Last night (Sunday) was injection number two. Because of the size of the dosage and the size of the cartridges, we had to do two injections to get up to the 450 IU dose, but other than that, nothing terribly interesting.

Today, I'm starting to feel a little bloated, and definitely aware of my ovaries, which I know sounds crazy, but it's the only way I can explain it.

Tomorrow, God-willing, the rest of my meds will be delivered in time to ramp up the protocol after Wednesday morning's blood draw and ultrasound.

Have I mentioned that all of this doesn't seem even remotely real yet?

Comments