Skip to main content

All in

So it would appear that we are all in for another go at IVF.

This afternoon, we went in for our re-consult with my RE. My hopes for the conversation were that we would 1) talk a little bit about how things had gone for both our fresh IVF cycle and our frozen cycle from the first half of the year, to see whether there were reasons to be concerned or reasons for failure other than bad luck, and 2) talk about where to go from here, whether there were any tests or repeat tests he would recommend, and a potential gameplan and timeline for a new round of IVF.

Our conversation covered both topics - past and future. Looking back, he said that everything about our first cycles was good, and that the only things he could "pick on" were the length of time between starting injections and egg retrieval (which can be shortened by upping the dosages on my meds this time), and the percentage of eggs that fertilized/expanded (which is partially related to the length of cycle issue). I asked whether there were any signs for concern or whether there were anything to look for/test for/consider before we moved forward. Nope. So that is good news. An affirmation that, as I said in an earlier post, that failure thus far =/= Failure.

So there's no reason that we can't just move ahead and jump right in all over again. He was prepared to let us try to jump in with the group that is starting this Sunday! We were thankful for the offer, but of course were far more comfortable with the idea of jumping into one of the September groups. So depending on how things go, we will start September 16 or September 29. Plenty close.

I had gone into the appointment today expecting that it would help me discern whether or not to go ahead, and when to start. But once I got there, it was a no-brainer. Of course we're going to try this again. And of course we're going to do it now.

It might be strange to say this, but I definitely miss all of the folks in that office. They are a strange little family for me. A group of people - doctor, nurses, receptionists - who know one limited but intensely intimate piece of my life. And they have been wonderful to me. And as soon as I walked in, and said hi to people who I haven't seen for three months (after spending the first half of the year seeing them weekly or more!), I knew that going forward was the only option.

So we shall see. Hopefully we can do at least as well as last time with regard to eggs and embryos. We had four last time, which offered us two rounds to transfer. I'd like to have that same option or better this time.

So we'll see how many blasts we get from the IVF cycle and how many frozen cycles we will have from them. Our plan right now is to use whatever blasts we get from this round (for a fresh cycle and however many frozen cycles), and if we end up with even one baby, then we won't go in for a third IVF round/retrieval. If we come up empty-handed again, it's probably 50/50 whether we'd do it all again a third full time.

But for now, for this second time through, we're all in. So here we go. Again.

Comments