Skip to main content

Here we go...

I am writing this at the crack of dawn. Pre-dawn, actually. It is 4:16 a.m. and I am awake, albeit grudgingly. Because the good news from my Thursday morning appointment was that I could trigger Thursday night for egg retrieval this morning!

Scheduling my retrieval seemed like such a good and happy thing back on Thursday. Now that Saturday morning is here, I'm a little anxious. Not quite sure how I feel about anesthesia, or about being back at a surgery center (a different one - this one is downtown Chicago!). I promised myself that I would not get anxious like I did for my HSG, because seriously, I am 30 years old (going on 31), and I really should just be able to power through stuff like this.

I mean...I thought I'd never be able to survive a week and a half of nightly injections, but I powered through and they turned out to be no big deal. I never thought I'd survive frequent blood draws, but those are getting pretty easy as well. I remember looking up the IVF procedure a few days after my surgery in September, and crying, and feeling defeated, as if the whole process were just too hard and I'd never be able to do it. And look how far I've come!

Today is the worst part of this all...but that doesn't mean it's going to be BAD. I just need to keep taking deep breaths and remember that the build-up and waiting is going to be far worse than the procedure. Not sure why I'm worried about anesthesia, other than the fact that I woke up feeling pretty gross after my September surgery...but today is TOTALLY different. A quick 20-minute procedure. Far less anesthesia. And they don't have to knock me out nearly as deeply.

It's a 6:30 a.m. appointment, and I need to be there at 5:30 a.m. I'm going to roll in there tired and dozy. That has to help. And seriously, we are going to be home by, like, 10:30 a.m. Plenty of time to sleep and rest and recover for the rest of the day.

All will be well. I just need to remember that.

Comments