Skip to main content

Days nine, ten, & eleven: 250mcg Ganarelix, 250 IU low-dose hCG, 1 low-dose aspirin

After Monday morning's bloodwork and ultrasound, they called to tell me that I could stop the Follistim, and I did a little happy dance, because it's nice to be scaled back from three injections to two.

It also made me feel like I was on the home stretch. So we did this two-injection protocol on Monday night and Tuesday night, and I went back in yesterday (Wednesday) morning for bloodwork and ultrasound, hoping that since I was out of Ganarelix, that must mean that we had hit the end of the injections. The ultrasound tech and the nurses I talked to yesterday morning all seemed pretty pleased, and thought there was a good chance that I'd be able to do the trigger shot that night in preparation for a Friday morning retrieval.

No dice.

They called yesterday afternoon, assured me that "everything is looking GREAT!" and then told me that I would do another night of regular injections, and come back for another round of bloodwork and ultrasound this morning (Thursday).

I was totally bummed out by yesterday's phone call. I felt so ready to be done, and excited for a Friday retrieval. But no.

So I went in this morning again. This is becoming pretty routine. (A little too routine?) Everyone at my RE's office is so kind. Bloodwork was quick and easy. Ultrasound was really informative. The woman doing my ultrasound told me everything that she was seeing, and not only took the measurements that she needed, but explained them to me and rooted me on and was hopeful that I might be a "go" for the trigger shot tonight.

Same with the nurse I met with afterward. She told me that things were looking good, and I was as good as there, and that I'd probably trigger tonight and do the retrieval on Saturday...but then mentioned that it would still be possible for my RE to push me off another day.

Basically...I have a bunch of big follicles that are ready to go (yay!), so we could trigger and move forward with a Saturday retrieval. But there are also a bunch of follicles that are so close to being ready. So I think that my RE needs to make a decision about whether to give those last follicles one more day or so to increase the yield at retrieval, or whether we can go forward with the ones that are already good to go.

So more waiting. Waiting until this afternoon to hear back about my fate. IVF is definitely an exercise in giving up control. It is a very submissive sort of adventure. You let them take your blood, and take pictures of your ovaries, and you trust them as they fiddle with your dosages, and you wait and wait for that perfect moment when your body is ready and at its best for retrieval yield...because a better yield means more eggs and therefore more potential embryos and therefore a greater chance of excellent embryos that could be transfered...and therefore a greater overall chance of success. But for all of the micro-managing that it takes to make this happen, there is nothing in my control that I can do to make this better or worse, slower or faster.

Comments