Skip to main content

Anxiety: high.

A little more than a week ago, Matt and I went back in for a post-test consult, and walked out of the office with an actual gameplan and an actual start date.

There was nothing said in that follow-up consult that was terribly different than what we already knew. My bloodwork came back fine, my HSG came back fine, Matt's SA was a little worse than average, but nothing that we hadn't already figured out when they sent him results following his test.

So February 26. That's the date. That's when this all begins.

February 26 is the scary first day of self-injections. It is a day that will hurl me toward egg retrieval surgery, and then embryo fertilization, and genetic testing, and (if all goes well) and embryo transfer just shy of a week after retrieval. And then waiting, and hoping, and the possibility of a baby.

This is going to be the hardest thing I have ever done. I have had this thought a few times as we've looked ahead toward IVF, but now that I have a start date and details about the plan are rolling in, I am feeling confirmed in that statement.

For instance, I just got off the phone with the pharmacy that is handling my medications and confirmed this ridiculously huge list of medications that they will be sending my way:

Low dose hCG 200 IU - Injection
Doxycycline 100 mg - Capsule
Crinone 8 % - Applicator (Gel)
Low dose aspirin 81 mg - Tablets
HCG 10,000 IU - Injection
Follistim AQ Cartridge 300 IU - Injection
Follistim AQ Cartridge 600IU
Ganirelix 250 mcg - Injection
Progesterone 50 mg/mL - Vial

Plus three different sizes of syringes, two different sizes of needles, one injection pen, alcohol swabs, and a needle disposal container.

Seriously, in that list of meds, we are covering every conceivable mode of administering medication except, perhaps, intravenus. Yeesh.

I'm scared about all the needles. I'm scared about having to keep track of what I need to take, and when, and how much. I'm overwhelmed by the system of ultrasounds/bloodwork that will take place during the mornings to determine exactly what medications and dosages I need to take in the evening. And this is all before I have to have (minor) surgery, which is a whole other ball of anxiety.

It occurs to me that while IVF is historied, and effective, and established, and reasonably routine/common these days...it is still far from an easy process. It still involves a complicated battery of medications to micromanage my body's egg-producing processes. It is still slow and labor-intensive.

I was right when I earlier mused that I would feel like a science experiment. I am fascinated that they have the capability to dictate my body's response like this! Honestly. It's pretty amazing that somebody figured out how to do this and make it work. So I am a little excited and curious. But I am overwhelmed.

We go in for injection training tomorrow; hopefully things will look a little clearer after that. I am so excited for February 26 to come, because we so want to start a family, and I've been restless to finally begin this process. But the nuts and bolts of the process are making my blood pressure rise.

Need thoughts. And prayers. And a little peace. :)

Comments